Still Time inaugurates the Fitzpatrick Gallery, rue de Turenne

I've no intention of writing a blog post every time I visit a gallery, but I must say I how impressed I was by the new Fitzpatrick Gallery on the rue de Turenne - both the new space and the curating of the opening exhibition, Still Time.


Even if you don't like all the works in it (and you rarely do), a well-curated group show - the choice of the artists and works and the way they are displayed together - is a pleasure in itself, as I think I implied in my earlier posts about Parallel Circuit in Tehran and Everyday in Antwerp. In this case, the exhibition was curated personally by owner Robbie Fitzpatrick, whose booth at Liste in Basel caught my eye for the same reason. I was especially glad to see a polychrome limewood relief by Mathis Collins, a favourite of mine, there; a large painting by Vittorio Brodmann - I like to see what he's up to; and a small one of peaches by Ulala Imai, whose engaging painting of bacon and eggs, similar in size, had already caught my eye at Crèvecoeur some time back. I also enjoyed Mathis Altmann's large assembly, Teutonic Disaster.

The new gallery has a single shop-front at street level, but inside, a narrow staircase leads up to a set of comfortably spacious, luminous rooms with parquet floors, giving the feeling it will always be a pleasure to go back. (I went on a sunny day.)

The gallery website has, of course, full information about the exhibition and more photos than I'm posting here - without credits, I'm afraid, as I couldn't see who'd taken them, and I didn't take any good ones of my own.

Edit: I take that back. The photos are by Romain Darnaud.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Palais de Tokyo's summer exhibitions, 2023

nerd_funk and the emergence of a new genre

Anna Uddenberg: an interesting new development